So here come's the fun (?) part of being pregnant and knowing what you're having. Choosing a name! And not just any name, the PERFECT name that you love, your husband loves, your 2 yr old can pronounce, and that will be cute when he's little, strong when he's older, and goes so well with your last name because he won't ever get the marriage name change so it better go really well...kind of name. That's a lot of pressure people!
So what do I do? I grab a couple of trusty "name my baby for me" baby name books at my local library and do what I do to make all my tough decisions. Randomly open to a page and point to my answer. Although I have to say it's not working out so well for me this time. No offense to all you Barinubus' and Jebediah's out there but I just don't think those will work.
But I do have to say looking though all these names has been quite entertaining. It's interesting to see what Steve's picks are and what mine are, and how they are sometimes completely off the wall different from each other. I always thought Steve would go for the more traditional names, but I think he would name our son Blade, or something the like if I let him...scary, I know. I on the other hand, like some "different" one's myself. For instance if I was living a little more hippie I totally would go for a name like River.
Anyway, we've had lots of laughs over "does anyone really name their kid this?" names, and finding out a little more about the meaning of our own names. In one of the books, "The New Baby Name Survey: What impression will you baby's name make?" is says the name Steven ( with a "v" of course, the "ph" s are a whole other matter...
gives the impression of:
Image: Steven proves that social skills are the difference between having nerdy characteristics and being a full-blown nerd. Steven is seen as a charming, easygoing guy with a good heart. People imagine he's smart, studious, and into books and computers, but he's too well liked to get the "nerd" label.
Oh my little Steven...doesn't this just suit him to a tee? We both read it and couldn't believe how well it described my little charming mechanical engineer.
Apparently my name impression is that I'm a bit of a snob...but I'm too stuck up to write about that here. Anyway, if you're looking for a couple of good laughs...head on down your nearest baby name book aisle. It's sure to give you a quite a few! : )
We are having such a hard time coming up with two names... Good luck! =)
ReplyDelete2 names! That's even more difficult! It will be funny if we end up naming one of our boys the same : ) Good luck with that.
ReplyDeleteWow, does the author know Steve??
ReplyDeleteAlso, I bet "Blade" is seriously on Steven's list, isn't it?
I have had it too easy. I just tell Kevin, "I think we should name the baby 'this'", and he just says, "Ok." Ah, simple.
yeah Amber, how'd you get it so good? That is funny that "kristen" gives the impression of being a snob, because all the Kristens I know are REALLY nice, and I never got the impression of snobbery from them. Also, they did seem to be spot on with Steven. That's creepy.
ReplyDelete